Sunday 19 September 2010

Taking offence.

I don't know if I made this point before but I'm fairly difficult to discriminate against.

Being white, male, young and (around the) middle class is certainly a good start. No physical or mental handicaps, no obscure religous beliefs, no obesity, no ginger hair.

Perhaps then, I am not in the best position to be lecturing people about when they are allowed to be offended. But I'm going to anyway.

Like when people complain to about TV shows that have a gay kiss, or too much violence, or something else that penetrates their narrow minded understanding of the world. It doesn't matter if you get offended. Just don't watch it. If anything, take from it that as long as they are not insiting hatred (and there is a clear fucking difference) words can't hurt you. Words can't do anything apart from in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment