Monday 3 May 2010

Thinking: am I doing it wrong?

Not so long ago somebody (I forget exactly who) asked me the quasi-philosophical question: what language do deaf people think in? I remember having a discussion about the idea, and it being quite perplexing to think about. However, looking back, it leaves me with a worry that is more fundamental.

Movies present the thoughts of characters to us as a narrated stream of concious dialogue. If someone sees a girl that he finds attactive his internal thoughts might say something like "wow, she's hot!" But this is not remotely the way I think. My head doesnt sound a little voice that tells me what I'm thinking, I just think it, I become aware of my thoughts towards it. If I have a cup of tea round someone's house and it's really nice, nothing tells me so, I just know that it's really nice.

Sometimes I do create that little voice and say things to myself. I dont know why, I think it's probably just to appease that part of me that thinks that is what I should be doing. But, I think that probably most people have the same experience as me, except that movies and television have tricked us into thinking that everyone else thinks with an internal monologue.

No comments:

Post a Comment