Friday 7 May 2010

Here's hoping.

The election didn't go the way I wanted, and I'll admit I am disappointed by it.

What I hoped would happen is Labour would get a mild majority over the Tories, maybe 250 seats to Tories 230, and Lib Dems would get 120ish.

What I thought would happen was Conservatives might get 270 ish, Labour around 250 and Lib Dems might get around 80.

What has happened is not as bad as it could have been. Tories could have got an outright majority. The BNP or UKIP could have gotten seats. These things haven't happened. And it's not altogether that bad. Even if Tories do manage to forge a majority it will be very weak and hopefully most of their ridiculous ideas will be shot down.

However, I was hoping for a lot more from this election.

My political sympathies appear to be very liberal. But I dont really like the term "liberal" because it seems to me that the media has made this effort to suggest that what "liberal" really means is wacky, or even stupid. To me, liberal means something very different. It means being progressive, and looking past what has happened before. It also, and perhaps most fundamentally, means helping people, looking after people, and my really big worry is that is what England has voted against.

To be honest, I dont think the Tories being in government really affects me that much, not at the moment anyway. I've just finished university so they cant push up fees and make me quit. I dont have children that the Tories could mess up the school system for. I'm not in, or anywhere close to poverty. I'm pretty sure almost whatever the government tries to do, I will more or less live a fairly comfortable during their stint in government.

But I'm not really worried about me. It seems to me, fairly obvious that the Conservatives are the party of the rich. I dont think we can deny it. They have a big tax cut planned for the richest people. Essentially they very much like the idea of the rich getting richer. What seems to me is that the Tories don't really have very much interest in the poor getting richer.

See if I set you out two choices, one in which you would make £100,000 a year, and 4 other people would be in poverty. And another were all five would make £20,000 a year, I would certainly take the latter.

I know that's an extreme example, and suggests I'm a communist (I'm not), but the point is I would rather everyone had something, than a minority had everything. I'd imagine most people are the same.

I'm not trying to suggest I have a holier-than-thou attitude about the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I want to have more money just like everyone else, and I would love to be rich. But I just think that by looking out for people, and seeing that more people are able to support themselves would be a much better thing.

The foundation of our society, surely, is about helping people, about making sure that the system is fair. I cant help but feel that England has voted for the opposite.


P.s.

Now that my rant is out of the way, I just wanted to look at some of the numbers involved in this election, just to prove one last final point, and also to give you some more lashings of my unabridged opinion, which I know you all crave.

10.7 million people voted Conservative, and that equaled 306 seats.
8.6 million people voted Labour, and that equaled 258 seats.
6.8 million people voted Lib Dem, and that equaled 57 seats.

Now I am not very good at maths, I fully admit, but something is deeply wrong there. That is why we need proportional representation. Then everyone's vote counts, not just the vote of the majority of people in that particular area.

I would also note that, simply put:
10.7 million voted for centre-right parties.
15.4 million voted for centre-left parties.

And yet the centre-right will almost certainly have a majority. I think Labour and Lib Dems need to set aside their differences here, and form a government, because the majority of people want a centre-left government.

Finally:

563,743 people voted for the BNP. Please make them leave Britain, they don't deserve to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment