Monday 31 May 2010

"Good" and the wisdom of Marge Simpson.

I wish I could hate people, but I think it's completely beyond me. And it's not a good thing.
I even find "disliking" pretty difficult.
At heart I think I am far too concerned with coming across as a decent person to ever come to a point where I can hold a grudge properly, or get angry with individuals.

I mean, I don't think anyone has ever given me a proper reason to hate them as such, but people who I dislike in private I am often kind to in person, no matter my negative feelings. If I can't even do something as simple as dislike, I don't have a hope of hating.

If there is anything I have learned consistantly, through personal experience, and watching the people are me, it's that being an allround good, decent person is exactly what people want from you, right up until the point that it becomes important.

As such, it is not worth trying to be nice. Just be horrible to people. At least you'll be interesting.
The nice people around you will probably hate you, but then be nice to you in person, because they're nice.
And the people who hate you, well, don't worry about them, they were never nice in the first place, and therefore not worth listening to.
You see how the circle revolve.

It doesn't remotely surprise me that all the rich, succesful people on TV, you know, the Dragon's Den lot, and Alan Sugar, and all those types of people, all come across as bastards.
It's because they are. Super-rich bastards.

Girls like badboys too, right?
So lets tally this up.
Respect. Nasty 1, Nice 0.
Wealth. Nasty 2, Nice 0.
Love. Nasty 3, Nice 0.

It's always the nice kids that get picked on in school. It's the nice people that look out for other people. Who donate to charities. But still "nice guys (and girls) finish last".

I know a lot of good people. Universally, the close friends I have are nice people. And I'm glad they are, because we nice people wouldn't be much without each other to all smile and do kind things for.

And, on a slightly related note, I found a quote that I've been looking for for ages. (I know "for" and "for" technically shouldn't go after each other, but I couldn't actually find a way to structure the sentence any better).
It is the single best advice you can ever recieve, and was told by Marge Simpson.

"I was wrong to have a dream, wrong as usual. If you're nothing special, why kid yourself? Aim low. Aim so low no-one will even notice if you succeed".

Hmm.
I think I'd better do something else.

1 comment:

  1. 'And on a slightly related note, I have been looking for a quote for ages and I finally found it'

    ReplyDelete