Wednesday 12 May 2010

"Plaster Man" is a spoonerism.

So, I'm finished with university now, I handed in my last piece of work on Wednesday and my future is the least certain that it has ever been. Education has always been a bit of a grounding experience. It sets out your year for you, and you become used to having breaks at certain times and the whole structure of learning.
But that's gone now. I'm not gonna do a masters, I should get a good enough grade to qualify for one, but I'm not really sure I want to do another year of education. It's kind of a strange feeling, I'm not really worried by the concept of having to go and find a job; more that the decisions I make now will affect my future in a way that I don't know yet.

What I mean by that is, when I signed up for three years of Computer Game Design at University of Wolverhampton, I knew that three years later I would have a degree and would be ready to make the next decision. Admitedly, I changed degrees (or equally "came to my senses") in the process, and will leave with a degree in Creative and Professional Writing, I still now have that decision to make. The difference with this decision is that I wont know where it will take me, I could find myself in a job that lasts til retirement, or end up with something that I can't stand and quit in a month. I just don't know.

It frightening and exciting at the same time. My primary plan is to find a part time job, enjoy the summer, and then look for a proper job once I've got my degree. I love the summer in Brighton, so I'm not too worried for the moment. Whatever happens happens, this summer. The worrying is really about life post-summer, when the educational year begins and I don't have any learning left to do. And it's not just career-wise, it's everything. Living arrangements, plans with friends, everything.

I don't know whats gonna happen, but it'll be fun finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment