Wednesday 10 November 2010

Mr Happy sold his soul to Specsavers.

"You should've gone to Specsavers, mate"
They might say. I imagine them having a strong London accent despite never having lived outside of a middle class neighbourhood of West Sussex.

Now, I hate Specsavers.
Their fabled slogan is so catchy that it became a perfect tool for bullies. I didn't wear glasses in school, but I even in my time as an adult I'm sure I've had someone come out with the dashing wit of being able to repeat a line they have heard in an advert.

Funnily enough I have never been to Specsavers. All my recent glasses/contact lens excursions have been in Vision Express. Perhaps subconsciously because Specsavers created a slogan to bully me... but more likely because Vision Express is easier to get to from my house.

Now, I'm not usually impressed by pieces of advertising.
In general, having been a media studies student since a-levels, I find myself analysing them rather than enjoying(?) them for what they are.

So this was an advertisement for Specsavers.

The detail for the story is vital.
Okay, so in my lunchtime routine of walking to the shops I have to walk down a fairly busy road with lots of side roads leading off from it. Cleverly, the advertisers have realised that lots of people walk down this road and so there are a number of billboards on the walls of the final buildings of the side roads.

So as you walk up the road, every side road you see a new billboard and advertisement. If you follow me.

Here is an example of what I mean.

So as you can see the billboard is on your left as you walk up the road, as I do on my way back from lunch.

As you walk towards this particular billboard obviously your view is partially obstructed by the houses in the road. So the first thing that you see is on the right off the advert.

And you read the words:

"Mr Happy should've gone to Specsavers"

And then as you walk a few metres closer, the other half of the billboard becomes visible and it's an image of Mr Happy with a big frowny face and some broken glasses.

I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment