Wednesday 10 November 2010

Capital cities, and learning them.

I recently embarked upon a quest... a personal goal, perhaps, of learning every capital city in the world.

I realise it is stupid.

It serves no purpose. I wont gain employment by knowing that Nicosia is the capital of Cyprus. And it has the added problem that inevitably, the one time someone asks a capital-city based question, it will either be one of the ones I don't know OR one of the easy ones that I mix up.
A good example of the latter is Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta. I know one is Malaysia and one is Indonesia, but I always forget which. (Without looking it up I think Jakarta is Indonesia, but I am prepared to be wrong).

Even a genius thinks it's a bad idea. Einstein said (and I paraphrase) that you should never learn something that you can easily look up.

Of course, Einstein lived before the internet, so I don't think the point is relevant any more.

I currently know most of the European capitals apart from the tiny ones like Moldova and Albania. I know most of South America. And most of Asia.

But one of the biggest problems, I tend to find, are the Caribbean countries.

The problem is that most countries have capitals of really banal, English names that are extremely similar and boring.

Let's see:
Anguilla - The Valley
Antigua and Barbuda - Saint John's
Barbados - Bridgetown
British Virgin Islands - Road Town
Cayman Islands - George Town
Grenada - St. George's
Guyana - Georgetown
Jamaica - Kingston
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - Kingstown

That's gonna take some learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment