Monday 12 July 2010

All this being right is tiring.

Was it a surprise when the Tories increased VAT to 20%?
Fundamentally I don't have a problem with it. Everyone has to pay VAT right, so it affects the rich as much as it affects the poor. And given that "we're all in this together" it's only fair that we all have to pay a bit extra things.

Except it's not fair, and I wish the Conservatives would stop pretending it is. Labour too, infact. As much as Labour tried to be the proper left wing working-class party this election, their policies have just been Conservative-esque.
Lesser evil and all that though.

I was disappointed when Lib Dem's didn't do that well at this election. The most disappointing thing that clearly a large chunk of the lower-middle, middle and working classes managed to convince themselves that voting Tory was a good idea.
There was all this talk about the policies, but the policies were not really what interested me very much. Quite often the policies don't make it in as the government wants, they are heavily ammended to become what's best for people, because that's how a decent parliament works.
What interested me in the values behind the people we voted for.

Most of the new Tory ministers were the kind of people who JOINED the Tories during the Margeret Thatcher years. They thought that what Thatcher did was a good thing. People don't seem to understand that the Tories are about keeping the rich rich. Of course the fucking rich want to stay rich.
I'm certainly not poor, and I have 0% interest in getting any poorer. The difference is that if it's going to benefit a lot more people than just me, I'm perfectly happy to be a little bit poorer.
Genuinely. I'm pretty that's how most good people think.

I don't want to be poorer, but if its going to give people with nothing just something then I'll take it, because I can.
If I have to stop buying the occasional pair of jeans from Next, or if I have to maybe miss a night going out because my bank balance is getting a bit low, then fair enough.
If that's what it would take to stop someone who has lost their job from losing their house too, then that's fine.

Too many selfish people in England I'm afraid.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I found this quite amusing. I know how much you hate Conservative, so what you say is pretty fair. As for the selfish people part, well what do you expect. We're living in a very dog-eat-dog world at the moment, but it could be argued that it goes back to the Victorian age when Christianity was taking a back seat and people began to worship the 'Materialist Cunt' god

    ReplyDelete