Sunday 10 October 2010

Of, my worst enemy.

I think it's Ben Goldacre who said something to the effect of: you should never judge people on things that they have said, you should only judge them on things they have written. We all say silly things sometimes in the "heat of the moment", things that don't reflect what we actually think most of the time.

You can blog in the "heat of the moment" too, and update your Twitter, and your Facebook status. So maybe I'm being unfair to people when I criticise their use of language on such mediums. But this is a blog, of course. And as I said a second ago, if people are not be judged on the content of blogs, then you are not allowed to judge me for judging someone, because either way we are just as bad as each other.

Moving on to the point.

I have another thing that annoys me.

And it's "of" again.
Bored of.

You can't be bored of something. You can be bored with something, and you can be bored by something.
Take another example at I just makes you sound stupid.

"I am bored by your grammar pedanticism" becomes "I am impressed by your grammar pedanticism"

"I am bored with your grammar pedanticism" becomes "I am impressed with your grammar pedanticism"

"I am bored of your grammar pedanticism" becomes "I am impressed of your grammar pedanticism"

It is never "bored of".

1 comment:

  1. I am well impressed of your grammar pedanticism. It DEFINITELY MAKES SENSE. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete