Monday 4 October 2010

Dreams, and Cylons taking over the world.

Dreams.
And no, not dreams in terms of hopes for the future.
Those, if you're interested are a simple trinity:

1) Get a job writing.
2) Own a basketball team.
3) Marry Jesse Lacey

No, this blog is about dreams that you dream about when you sleep. And don't get me wrong, I know how boring it is to listen to people rant on about obscure dreams they've had. I do a bit of that in a moment, but there is a reason for it. I'm not just trying to entertain you with a dream annecdote.

I hear it sometimes, people say "I had a dream last night about..." and almost immediately someone will say. "When you dream about... that means...".

Now.

I would like to use a case in point here, with the dream I had last night:

Robots had taken over the Earth (Cylons from Battlestar Galactica to be precise). I was the last person left alive.
My only companion was this little sort of hamster type thing that communicated with me by smiling.
I think it was female.
I can't be sure.
Walking around through wartorn England I entered a hospital. I should add at this point that there was a voice over telling me what was going on, that's how I knew about the robots, and how I know the following:
The Cylons had killed everyone. Even everyone in the hospital. Even the babies in the maternity ward.
BUT they had left 1 baby still alive.
I approached the crib. And picked up this baby. And it wasn't a baby. It was a human leg. An alive human leg. Not attached to anything, but definitely alive. It couldn't talk or anything. I don't know if it was a male or female leg. Just a leg.
So that was it. I was on my own with a hamster and a leg. I also wasn't sure whether the hamster was real or whether it was in my imagination.

So... who is gonna analyse that for me?

I can tell you where the Cylons came from. I watched Battlestar Galactica before I went to bed.
But possibly not real hamsters who communicate by smiling? And one remaining baby being a leg?
I'm sorry but these are the thoughts of a lunatic. The first point of this is you couldn't possibly interpret that dream rationally. You could talk about being alone, I suppose. But show me a textbook with leg babies. That is just a weird creative decision on the part of my sleeping head.

And that's the second point I wanted to make.
How fucking creative is the unconcious mind. That is a weird story my mind made up to keep me entertained as I spelt. Of all the things it could have thought of.

The third point is why, when people talk about dreams in fiction they talk about highly simplistic things.
"I have a recurring dream where I am falling"
"I have a dream where I am drowning" etc

My dreams, and indeed no-one who ever tells me about their dreams ever, ever has anything that simple. They always contain a drawn out and fairly complex narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment