Friday 22 October 2010

Basketball, and how I came to love it.

I was introduced to basketball by a person who could be considered my first best friend. I mean, I recall having frineds before him, but I don't remember their names. His name was Daniel and I went to primary school with him and he was a fan of basketball. I remember watching Space Jam round his house.

I remember liking basketball and being jealous that he liked it too, so I pretended I didn't like it. I remember a particular incident in which we were taken to McDonalds (other fast-food brands are available) and got Happy Meals. The toy in the Happy Meals were these little plastic figures of monsters playing sports.
The basketball one was a vampire. His name was Slam Drac. (I had hoped to find a picture of him, but the internet appears to have forgotten about him). I definitely remember he existed.

So we got our Happy Meals and opened up the package.
I got some werewolf doing something rubbish like cricket or something.
He got Slam Drac.
And I was jealous.

I tried to think of a witty putdown, but this is the best my year 2 brain could muster:

"I think they should have called him Slam Drunk...because he looks drunk"

He didn't look drunk.

It didn't even make sense.

So after that (not specifically because of that incident) I became obsessed with basketball.

I used to watch NBA games on the TV and played a little game.

I would listen out for a name I didn't know and then I write the name down and draw a picture of what they might look like. I don't know why I did that, but I learnt a lot of players names that way.

In year 4, Daniel and I went to different schools. Well, more technically I moved school. My mum and his remained friends/business-friends so I saw Daniel irregularly.

The first time was perhaps a year or so after I'd moved, and I tried to have a conversation with him about basketball and all the players I knew.
At this point my knowledge dwarfed his.

The student had become the master.

No comments:

Post a Comment