Saturday 28 August 2010

Questioning the questions.

I'm an atheist, but I'm not entirely sure why.

My parents certainly weren't staunch atheists, my mum is a Catholic in principle, but doesn't attned church or really believe anymore, but when I was younger we went to the church every Sunday.

My beginnings were pretty Christian. I went to a junior school that said prayers every morning, and had discussions about God and the bible in the evening.

It wasn't even that I felt smothered by a Christian upbrining or anything like that. I said prayers quite happily. I went to church but never had it thrust upon me unwillingly.

I don't remember ever believing it, though.

I can remember believing in Father Christmas, when I was very young. We used to leave milk and carrots for Rudolph, and a little glass of brandy for the jolly fat man himself. Unsurprisngly, the brandy was always gone, so too were the milk and the carrot, although I find it unlikely that my parents cos-played a reindeer; they almost certainly ended up back in the fridge.

I digress.

I don't remember believing in God, or heaven, or miracles. Even at a very young age I don't recall ever being taken in by it. I don't know why. I don't remember disbelieving it, as such, I just never bought into it.

It's funny, because given my upbringing, one would assume I am prime, good little Christian boy material. But I suspect it's true for a lot of people I know. Maybe kids are just getting smarter, learning to question more what they are told rather than believing it blindly.

I don't really have a reason to not have believed. I am not what you could call a scientist who felt overwhelmed by the evidence for evolution. I didn't have a powerful atheist figure in my life telling me what not to believe. I just never believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment