Monday 28 November 2011

Clumsist

I bet you think that being clumsy is a bad personality trait. Well, I'm here today to argue the opposite. Let us begin.

I'm quite clumsy. It's a generally held belief. I spill drinks. I accidentally drop stuff. I trip over. I bump into people. And people get annoyed. They tell me being clumsy is a bad thing. They tell me to pay more attention to what I'm doing.

But if I waste all that time to such mundane tasks such as pouring drinks or walking, I lose valuable thinking time for other things. My mind is occupied elsewhere, I'm thinking about something else. Clumsiness is caused by being distract. But I am distracted by more interesting and important things than whatever it is I'm being clumsy with.

So, don't mock the clumsy. We're a kind and noble people more interested in the bigger picture than the dull constraints life places upon us in the day-to-day. Support us, don't be nasty.

Imagine if the future inventor of the cure for cancer happens to have a brainwave just as she's pouring out a glass of apple juice. If she spills her apple juice because of it, her friends and family may laugh at her and deride her confidence.  The humiliation would in turn make her forget her cancer brainwave.

So the next time you laugh at someone clumsy just remember that over 1,500 people die from cancer every day in the United States alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment