Saturday 19 November 2011

Music today

When I think about music now, I feel really sorry for kids. When was I was just discovering that I loved music there were so many small music labels promoting all sorts of different bands. These days all the small labels have been bought by big labels and so their agenda has become exactly the same: bands that make money.

So many of best experiences come from listening to brilliant music, and I'm the person I am today in no small part due to the excellent variety of alternative available to me as a kid.

When I was a kid there were so many good British bands: Funeral for a Friend, Biffy Clyro, Lostprophets, Hell Is For Heroes, Hundred Reasons, Reuben, My Vitriol, InMe, Vex Red, Million Dead, Fony, and I could go on.

There were countless American bands as well, too many to try to name, but they spanned all sorts of genres, emo, nu-metal, punk, metal, indie rock, acoustic, pop rock.

What exactly are alternative kids supposed to listen to? The British music scene is dead, and the American scene falls into to two categories: pop-metal and pop-punk. There is nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment