Saturday 4 December 2010

The reason I don't have a cartoon as my profile picture.

There is a trend on Facebook at the moment.

What you do, apparently, is replace your current display picture with a picture of a cartoon character from your childhood.

I won't be participating. Not because I'm too pretencious, or because I wish violence against children. No.
Because it's a kind of typical campaign that we are beginning to see.

Facebook User 1: "I am going to combat child abuse!"

Facebook User 2: "How? By donating money to a reputable children's charity? By volunteering as a care worker? By going out into the street and handing out flyers to raise awareness to the plight of children?"

Facebook User 1: "No. By changing my profile picture to that of a cartoon"

It's funny how willing people are do things for campaigns when it is free and they only have to click a few buttons.
Call me cynical but I bet if you said "change your profile picture to a cartoon and donate £5 to NSPCC" suddenly no one would notice the campaign.

No, instead what you get to do is appease your conscience by putting a different picture up for a few days, so that you can imagine in your head that you have somehow done something decent for abused children.

Enjoy that warm feeling of making a difference that I am sure you all get.

No comments:

Post a Comment