Friday 24 December 2010

Jobs.

OK, so here's the situation:

I currently work full-time as a researcher for World of Books on a temporary basis.
I also do a bit of freelance work as a writer, but that comes and goes as it pleases.

So, I continue my job search.

What I am looking for is something like a press office assistant or PR assistant or marketing assistant.
Ideally, I would be working for a university or a charity, on the logic that its an environment I am more used to than a full-on business

These types of jobs, in a junior capacity, are fairly rare.


But it is what I'd like to be doing, and possibly the most sensible way to put my life skills to any commercial use. Not much of an income to be made in writing satirical blog posts or stalling at chapter two of every novel you try to write.

I digress.

So, anyway, this week, I found one such job.

It is as a "communications officer" at the University of Brighton. The problem is, it is also a temporary position, covering for maternity leave, I believe it said.

Still, it would be a fantastic opportunity if I could get it.

BUT:

...on the day I discover this job, World of Books offers me my current temporary job on a permanent basis.

Now, I really like my job at the moment. It's not remotely well paid, but it is easy, relaxed and, to a certain extent, quite fun.

If my life were in a place in which I wanted to settle down, or at least establish some degree of permanance, this job would be really good (...possibly with a little addition to the paycheck).

However, I now have to ask myself, if I could get a temporary job as a communications officer, do I take it? Do I abandon a permanent, full-time job that I enjoy for the experience and short-term financial benefit of being in a better paid job with better prospects?

I always said to myself I would always rather get experience and give myself the chance to get a good job. But at the same time I do genuinely like this job I have at the moment, and I don't want to leave it, for a few months of a job that I could potentially hate, or not find a future in.

I don't know. Do I go against everything that I used to mock? Am I brave enough to move on from something good for the potential for something better? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment