Saturday 26 June 2010

"Sorry".

"Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word"; a hit single twice for Elton John and once for Blue. And also the sole proprieter to a truly rubbish title line.
Really? The hardest word is sorry? I say sorry all the time, most often for things I'm not remotely sorry about. Men are always saying they are sorry. Women rarely, but then women rarely have things to be sorry about.

"Sorry", in my opinion, in the social sphere is a virtually rendundant word. It doesn't make any sort of difference to whoever you say it to. A life-threatening illness, for example, is not remotely made any more barable by the doctors and friends and family telling you how sorry they are. Nor does being sorry make up for cheating on a partner, it doesn't make a difference, not in the slightest.
A work rival doesn't make their promotion at the expense of yours any easier to accept by telling you they are sorry you didn't get the job.

Anyone who has ever said "sorry" to me has not improved in my estimation for doing so.
Don't be sorry, just stop doing horrible things to me.
Seriously though, don't bother apologising, if I like you enough I'll forgive you. And if I can't forgive you I will continue our friendship as genuinely as I can without ever letting on how much I hate you. It wont make any difference to you or me.

No comments:

Post a Comment