Sunday 28 February 2010

The music of 2009

Technically of course, I should have done this right on the eve of 2010, breathing my last gasps of the "noughties" air, before the turn of the decade, and summing up my feelings on a years worth of music


Well I didn't.

I'm doing it now. 2009 has been a pretty decent year for the type of music I like, a large number of my preferred bands released new albums and I discovered some new bands too. First, though, I thought I'd go through a few albums that I didn't think were that great. (Note that these lists are not in any particular order)


5 Most Disappointing Albums


"21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day - On first listen it was okay, certainly nothing special, some little catchy bits, 'Know Your Enemy' was infuriating, but there was nothing too wrong with it. Sadly for me, this was the opposite of a 'grower', and the more I listened, the weaker it become.

"Full Circle" by Creed - You'd think for a band who've been seperated for years to get back together they would be running hot with creativity and passion, but sadly this album feels tired. I had high hopes, but the whole things seems dull, and a little bit pointless.

"Old Crows/Young Cardinals" by Alexisonfire - And it's not that this is an awful album, there are some decent tracks, but I think Alexisonfire is a prime example of a band who have peaked, and whose members sideprojects now appear to take precedence.

"No Line On The Horizon" by U2 - I used to think U2 were infallable. They are very easy to hate for Bono and his pretentious attitude to selflessness, but they always made up for it by the fact that they are simply exceptional songwriters. This album seems to lack the spark and power of their previous work, and with a band of their ability and experience, this seems horribly average.

"Metamorphosis" by Papa Roach - You would have thought that blatantly ripping off Keane for 'Lifelines' is pretty much a last resort.


5 Best Albums

"Mean Everything To Nothing" by Manchester Orchestra - There's something really fresh and original about Manchester Orchestra, they seem to have the perfect blend of exceptionally well composed songs that are catchy too. 'I've Got Friends' and 'Tony The Tiger' showcase this, and they have another track that will be found later in the songs of the year.

"Beggars" by Thrice - Thrice are one of those bands who have been around for a while, and have quietly and consistantly been making excellent music. "Beggars" continues that trend, and especially the first half of this album is exceptional. Thrice seem assured and confident, and 'In Exile', 'Circles' and 'The Weight' are some of their best material to date.

"Daisy" by Brand New - I love Brand New. In fact I am in love with Brand New. Four albums. Each incredably different. Each inexplicably brilliant. Barely a bad track amongst them."Daisy" isnt what you might call 'acessable' but there is superb depth and craft in this album, and even contains 'At The Bottom' which would probably have been a hit with a more media-orientated band.

"New Again" by Taking Back Sunday - How does Adam Lazzara do it? He's onto now the third songwriter-guitarist in his band, and each one has been as good, as well as different from his predessessor. 'Sink Into Me' is a hell of a song too.

"Herald Moth" by InMe - As they promised, InMe have produced a much more progressive, aggressive album often harking to the math-rock stylings of Sikth, but retaining their own distinctive charm. Dave McPherson's unique voice lifts this album from something good, to something great. 'All Terain Vehicle' and 'You Wont Here From Me Again' are something special.

Honourable Mention: "Be Human" by Fightstar, "Only Revolutions" by Biffy Clyro, "Act III" by The Dear Hunter, "The World I Want To Leave Behind" by Moneen, "For His Old Branches EP" by Republic of Wolves.

5 Best Songs

"That Golden Rule" by Biffy Clyro - Biffy showcasing what they are really capable when they try. The absolute high point on album which appears to indicate the band have become very good at writing average pop-rock songs.

"Shake It Out" by Manchester Orchestra - M.O are something special, a very creative original song with a very powerful final section.

"A City On Fire" by Fightstar - "Be Human" was a pretty decent, but didn't live up to their earlier work, however, the later release of this song proved they still have plenty left in the tank.

"Hold That Sound" by Moneen - Moneen continue to change and mature. This song is an example of how far the band's sound has come.

"Wheels" by Foo Fighters - Once again Foo Fighters churn out a superb song, keeping them rock-steady in their position as one of the finest bands in the world.

Honourable Mention: "Juggernauts" by Enter Shikari, "Starting Over" by Killswitch Engage, "At The Bottom" by Brand New

1 comment:

  1. 'acessable'?! Sort it out!

    Been looking forward to reading this since you told me you were writing it!

    I totally agree with you about AOF.
    'Crisis' was a stunning album and I remember when I first heard 'Old Crows/Young Cardinals' my first though was 'Wtf is up with Georges voice?!'
    Rumours flew about that he had had vocal surgery so I was a little more understanding but then I find out he's actually put it on and is now screaming like that.
    Insane.

    Much like AOF, I think Green Day peaked with the huge success that 'American Idiot' had, with even talks of a bloody rock opera being produced!
    I think everyone is just a bit sick of them now.

    'Beggars'!! What a fantastic album!!
    Thrice are still seriously underrated and deserve much more attention to the genius' they are.

    InMe again blew me away. Maaaaaaasive riffage and it's proper British rock. Nice to know that someone is still representing since the demise of HIFH and Hundred Reasons dropping off the map.

    I grinded Fightstar's 'Be Human' for a very long time. Fantastic soundscapes and 'Mercury Summer' was my ringtone for some time.
    However, hearing them live last month it all just seemed so tired and lackluster.
    Their songs demand so much energy and that doesn't translate on stage.
    'A City On Fire' is a fucking tune though and that did come across great live.

    Now to be controversial (well, for you anyway).

    Still not sure how I feel about 'Daisy'.
    I think I need to give it more of a listen and I agree that it's not as 'accessible' as their previous titles.
    'TDAGARIOM' is still my favourite. Epic, epic tracks!

    And TBS can bloody well piss off.
    I loved the band dearly but all of the drama has overshadowed the music and the tunes aren't even that great anymore in my opinion.
    And the 50/50 performances always leave a bitter taste.

    And just say no to Enter Shikari!

    ReplyDelete