Wednesday 24 February 2010

Bookworm

WARNING: The following is a rant. It bears no meaning on reality. Nor should it be taken seriously.

Is it just me, or do people not read enough these days?

Now dont get me wrong, I know most people read a book every day. Unfortunately it's Facebook, and it's through Facebook that you sort of notice the problem. Face-stalking is not something I do on a regular basis (...maybe) but under people's information you tend to find long lists of favourite movies and music, going sometimes into explicit details. On the computing equivalent of the dusty shelf above lies the Favourite Books category, which often lays dormant, or even has something along the lines of: I DONT READ!!!!. As if they're proud of it.

I know I'm over generalising, and in fact quite a lot of the people who I know do read regularly, but still there an awful lot of people who just dont. I shamelessly steal material from Stewart Lee here but: if you only ever read one book in your, I urge you to keep your mouth shut. It's funny how often people tell me that they dont have time to read, but then post Facebook statuses saying how bored they are, or spend hours on Farmville etc.

Now admitedly I dont read that much, I certainly dont devote hours of my day to it, and in fact I avoided taking English at university pretty much on the basis that it would be too much reading. But I read virtually every night before bed, even if its just a chapter or so. And it's pretty rare that I dont get something decent out of reading.

/rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment